Thursday, July 7, 2011

Thin Mint Truffles (or the desperate attempt at self-control)

This past Monday, my boss gave me a box of Thin Mints.  These cookies are easily my weakness (not the cute girls in uniform asking you to give them money), and they are even better straight from the freezer.  My boss is aware of this, and I think she was giving me these to get me back from not showing up with promised doughnuts. 

I had mixed feelings upon receipt of that box—I absolutely LOVE them, but God knows that they would be gone in about one day (and one night of late night snacking), so I knew that I would have to get rid of them as soon as possible.

I was having people over on Wednesday to celebrate my birthday, so I knew that I would be able to persuade people to eat them. 

So the brainstorming began. 
And I came up with Thin Mint Truffles.  A.m.a.z.i.n.g. (and simple too!).  I used this recipe for the chocolate filling, but came up with the rest of the recipe in hopes that I won’t be left alone with the cookies (it may have been my birthday, but my thighs wouldn’t have cared about that once they started expanding to accommodate those mint delights).
I apologize for the lack of pictures, but if you have any questions on how to make the truffle base, I would go to the link above or to my go-to-girl, Annie (and these are amazing as well!).  I got so excited that I thought eating the melted chocolate was more important than taking pictures of it : ) You understand.

Thin Mint Truffles
By: Me
1 cup of Thin Mints
12oz bittersweet chocolate (Ghodiva, please!)
8 oz semisweet chocolate (I used some chocolate chips)
1 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tsp peppermint extract
Self-control

I took about one sleeve of Thin Mints, roughly chopped them, and set them aside in a small bowl.  I also took the leftover crumbs from said chopping and put them in another side bowl (trust me, this will make sense very soon!).

Roughly chop the bittersweet chocolate and place in a separate bowl.  Bring heavy cream to a boil, and pour it over the bittersweet chocolate and stir until chocolate is completely melted and the mixture is smooth.  Add peppermint extract.

Put melted chocolate in the freezer for about 2 hours, or until set. About half way through, take bowl out and stir in the cup of chopped Thin Mints.  Place back in freezer for the rest of the time.

Just before you are about to take out the chocolate from the freezer, melt the semisweet chocolate in a double boiler.

After you take the chocolate out of the freezer, scoop out about 2 tablespoons of chocolate and form into a ball.  Dip in the melted semisweet chocolate.  Immediately after that, roll in the leftover Thin Mint crumbs.

 
Do you see the bite of the thin mint in the truffle??
Life.changing.

Guys, this was amazing!!!!! Not overly pepperminty (is that even a word?), but rich and decadent at the same time.  It looks like you slaved in the kitchen, when really (aside from the two hours in the freezer) it takes about 20 minutes!  The added thin mints in the actual truffle made the texture amazing---the creamy, dark chocolate base with the crunchy bits of Thin Mints was truly perfect.  The leftover crumbs was a last-minute decision, but I think it really made the presentation (and you don’t waste one crumb of these beauties!).

The only problem I had was that the chocolate took a little longer to set, so I couldn’t finish them for the birthday party.  So I brought them into work.  My coworkers didn’t seem that upset : )



No comments:

Post a Comment