Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Cinnamon Scones

More often than I would like to admit, I go to Starbucks and get iced coffee.  The price is reasonable enough where I don't bat an eye when I get "a venti iced coffee light on the ice and 2 pumps sugar" every few days.

But the time has come to face my addiction....

I've now gone "often" enough where I now have the gold membership card.  You know, the one where they personalize this gold, shiny card with your name on it.

(It's the least they can do when they rely on you for half their profits every month....)

Eek. 

I don't know whether to be embarrassed or to embrace it.

Regardless, I've now started bringing coffee to work from home to save money.  I am also looking into other opportunities to experience the wonder that is Starbucks' pastry case without breaking my wallet.

Here's to crossing one treat off the list and making it at home!

Cinnamon Scones
By The Pioneer Woman

3 cups flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/2 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
2 sticks (1 Cup) Unsalted Butter
3/4 cups Heavy Cream
1 whole Egg
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 cup Cinnamon Chips

Topping
1/2 cup Sugar
1 teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoon Heavy Cream

Preheat oven to 350 F. 

Mix flour, sugar, cinnamon, and baking powder in a mixing bowl.
Slice cold butter and toss into the mixing bowl.  Press into mix with a fork until all blended.
Add cinnamon chips.
Mix cream, vanilla extract, and eggs in a separate bowl.  Pour into the dry mix. Blend together (be careful not to overmix!!).
Drop mix onto a clean countertop and work into a rectangle. 
Mix topping ingredients together and sprinkle over top of dough.
Make cuts of the dough to form triangles.
Place on baking tray and cook for 20 to 25 minutes.
Enjoy!!!

Keep in mind that I cut relatively small triangles in hopes of making mini scones.  As you can see, the dough expanded exponetionally in the oven, so adjust accordingly to the size that you desire!  I always love things in miniature form, because it seems like you can eat more haha. 

These were even better than Starbucks!!!  Notice how the cinnamon topping formed a crust on top of the scone--it added unbelievable flavor to this breakfast treat!  I brought some in to work with me so I won't eat the entire plate and they were such a hit! 

Things to change:

Next time, I might add a little more cinnamon to the scone batter itself, because the scone didn't taste as "cinnamony" (say that 5 times fast!) as I would have liked...

Also some icing can't hurt ; )

2 comments:

  1. Wow - these are incredible! I'm allergic to cinnamon, so I can't indulge, but the allergies are new, so I know EXACTLY what I'm missing! I understand about the gold card - my brother is single handedly keeping his starbucks in business where he lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for finding me on Foodbuzz! And... I'm thrilled to be here to see these scones. Yes, I admit to loving the iced coffee as well, though I like the espresso over ice, but it's the scones at Panera that I can't resist. Since they put up the calorie count in the last few months I have reverted to making them at home, somehow mine at home don't have the calorie number sitting right next to them and that makes it OK. Cinnamon Scones it is!!

    ReplyDelete