Sunday, July 3, 2011

Living for the Weekends

Sorry for no post yesterday! I was out late Friday night with some friends (pics to come later!) and then Saturday I spent the sunny day outside reading this:
Doesn’t Janet Evanovich crack you up!? I think she is hilarious, and it is quite entertaining for a quick read. 

I wasn’t so busy relaxing (hee hee ) that I couldn’t have fun cooking!  My first meal was from Julia Child’s cookbook
The Poached Egg.

For years I have wanted to try this recipe, but made up excuses for fear of failure.  After watching Julie and Julia recently, I decided to take a crack at it.

The cast of characters: One egg, a pot of simmering water, and a drizzle of vinegar (to keep the whites settled).

I cracked the egg in a separate bowl to drop into the simmering water.
Immediately, I used a wooden spoon to swirl the whites around.

After that, you wait for 3-4 minutes, until the whites are settled.

Then, you take it out carefully with a slotted spoon and place it on a plate.
Yummy.  The egg tasted better than any other form of egg I have had before. And it was so easy!!! It worked on the first try. Anddd it tasted like b.u.t.t.e.r.  It didn't need anything except a fork : ) And it only took 6 minutes.
Then came more good stuff for dinner.  The idea came from my inability to make a decision for what to eat.

First, I was thinking chicken parmesan.  But then I looked in my fridge and saw leftover egg roll wrappers from last week, from Kristin’s recipe.

So, I thought I would combine the two ideas--chicken parm + egg roll wrappers = chicken parm egg rolls!  

I made an extra egg roll (three total) and had it for lunch today—yummo (yes, I just pulled a Rachael Ray).

Chicken Parm Egg Rolls
Servings: 1-2

3 Egg Roll wrappers
1 chicken breast
1 cup pasta sauce
3 slices of mozzarella cheese
a handful of chopped basil

Preheat the oven to 350 F.  Season chicken with salt and pepper and dried oregano.  Cook for 20-30 minutes, until cooked . Raise oven temperature to 425 F.

Chop chicken.

In a small bowl, combine pasta sauce, basil, and chicken. Mix well.
Lay egg roll out and place slice of cheese on a diagonal. Place chicken mixture on an egg roll. 
Wrap up egg roll and place on cookie sheet seam down.  Cook for 20 minutes. 

Spoon extra sauce on top.  Enjoy!
I love this recipe! It tastes exactly like a chicken parm grinder…but crispier….and more egg-rolly than starchy bread.

Have a happy fourth, everyone!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment